Friday, September 3, 2010

Alice, my friend...

Last evening I enjoyed another spiritually enlightening visit with Alice at the nursing home where she now lives. As is the case with most residents, she is not there by choice. About three months ago an illness cut short Alice's independent living.  Now, with only a few personal belongings, she shares a small room with another resident. I visit Alice on a weekly basis and I'm learning first hand what a life changing experience this is for her!

Before Alice's sudden move to the nursing home, we'd often meet by chance. The first time we met, I noticed that she was holding A Course In Miracles textbook. I too am a student of A Course In Miracles, so because of this shared interest, our friendship began.

Because of my training in Pastoral Care I knew that a routine of regular weekly visits would give Alice something to look forward to, enriching her life.

Increasingly Alice is coming to share some of her past life and, as well, the difficulties she's having in learning to adjust to her present circumstances. I too share with Alice some of my own experiences. Such shared intimacy serves to strengthen the bond between us. 

For my part, Alice refreshes my faith and gives me hope because at seventy plus years, she digs deeply into her spirituality for answers. I am blessed!

by Bonnie Woodard

Diocesan Pastoral Care Course
Information  218.5515 (403)

We are anxious to hear about anything that concerns YOU.
Please use blog 'comments' or click blwoodard@shaw.ca to send an email.

No comments: