Friday, December 30, 2011

THE GATE OF THE YEAR

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year,
Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”

And He replied,
Go out into the darkness and put thine hand into the hand of God;
that shall be to thee better than light and safer than a known way.”

by
Minnie Louise Haskins
(1875-1957)



(Minnie Louise Haskins wrote a poem in 1908 called 'The Gate of the Year', from its first line: 'I said to the man who stood at the Gate of the Year'.   King George VI recited some of the poem when he gave his Christmas Message on the radio in 1939.)

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Namrata's email says, "Wow, this was amazing quote...Happy new year!"

Bonnie said...

Meg's email says, "This is beautiful. Thank you for sending it. HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Bonnie said...

Louise's email says..."I've passed this on to several friends down here . . . wonderful words . . ." (while in Mexico)

Bonnie said...

Katherine's email says, "That's beautiful... Happy New Year... Wishing you lots of love and good health and happiness."

Bonnie said...

Pam's email says, "And A Happy New Year to you too! This is an awesome (as it fills me with awe!) beginning to the year. I am going to use it to start my 2012 journal."

Bonnie said...

Mary's email says, "That's a great message. We need never be afraid!"

Bonnie said...

Gina's email says, "Love that Bon and Garry! Hope you have a super New Year...lead by the hand of God!"