Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mind In Transcendence ...

We well know the mind stirs the imagination, invoking images both real and fanciful.  It is less well known, however, that within this phenomenon of the mind lies our most precious human resource; the ability through imagination to transform thoughts of the mind into the realm of the supernatural.  Thus may we visualize ourself suffused in the light of God’s presence, His love a salve to our soul.

Garry D. Kilbourn
bwfaithministry

Excerpt from CHANGE YOUR MIND: Not your Diet ©

“… the mind stirs the imagination,…”

Recently I enjoyed the gift of Margaret Silf, writer-in-residence, at *“The Centre”.  It was during Margaret’s workshop entitled Prayer for the Bewildered that I was introduced to “entering into the Gospel in imaginative prayer” … (choose a Gospel story, ask God to Guide you as you enter the story and imagine the scene. What can you see, hear, smell, taste or feel?  What is happening in the scene? Who is there? What does the scene suggest?) .

It was some days later when I thought I’d try this form of prayer.  I chose the scene in St. John 20:26-28 when Jesus appeared to his disciples:  I was Thomas … “27Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach higher thy hand and thrust it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing.”  As Thomas I experienced  a very personal feeling of being alone with Jesus: I was part of something very special.  blw

*FCJ Christian Life Centre www.fcjsisters.ca/fcjcentre

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Junimarooni's email says,
"...your thoughts brought back wonderful memories as when i was a child and even later in life...many times in church or reading God's word....i myself am there in the stories...i can see it as it happened...or as i imagined it happened...my favorite as a child was when He fed the loaves and fishes....i was there as a child along the sea with Him with my hand out for food...and He fed me even in my imagination...

Again being only children i believe our imagination and beliefs are sometimes stronger... I used to berate our Lord for not letting me have siblings... now I know He did it for me so i could be closer to Him in my time of need whether talking to Him or praying to Him... and you both just put that into perspective for me :)"

Bonnie said...

A.G.'s email says,
"That is positively the most remarkable use of imagination to suggest... thank you!!! ANY chance to be closer to Jesus is so wonderful and special, and you can bet I will use that technique when next I actually slow myself down to read scripture... I have to tell you that I was very teary reading that, and envisioning the possibilities of being closer to Christ."