Saturday, September 18, 2010

If you've wondered what an impression you make as a volunteer, here is a poem written by my friend who is 88 years old and a resident in a nursing home...she is an inspiration to many!

Volunteer

The day you came into my life,
when I was sad and full of strife,
you brought great happiness to me
that's plain for everyone to see.

And I think when you were born
that Gabriel must have blown his horn
and declared for everyone to hear
that from the moment of your birth
you'd be an angel here on earth.

And here you are so good and true
always there when I'm needing you.
Your very kind and thoughtful ways
fill my heart with song and praise.

Your generosity knows no bounds.
And I love to hear the welcome sounds
of your knock upon my door
for the time we spend together
is worth a rich man's treasure
and you seem to find your way
no matter what the weather.

So you really are my guardian angel
sent from heaven to earth.
And I'm hoping God will let you stay awhile
so as the years go by,
with your lovely winning smile,
you can bring your love and friendship
to others mortals such as I.

With permission
by Celia Chambers

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Email from Ginny (Sept 24/10):

I enjoyed your faith ministry blog. I liked the Volunteer poem.

Bonnie said...

Email from Sylvia (Oct 6/10):

Celia's Volunteer poem is so very beautiful...thank you Celia!!