Sunday, November 28, 2010

A LONG, VIGOROUS AND ADVENTURE-FILLED LIFE...

Doris McCarthy, revered landscape painter, died November 25, four months after celebrating her 100th birthday --- born in Calgary on July 7, 1910.

"I have painted in every province in Canada, on purpose, because when I was 16, Arthur Lismer inspired me with the ambition to be a great painter of Canada, and I have been working at that goal ever since," she told The Globe in 2002.

Doris McCarthy had her own style. Deeply spiritual, she saw God everywhere, and her joyous expression of the forms that inspired her is what invites viewers into her world.  She is also known for her liturgical art which includes the magnificent nativity creche she carved for St. Aiden's in the Beach, the Anglican church in which she was a lifelong member.

Art critic Sarah Milroy observed Doris as a woman utterly at ease with who she is, and with the life she has led (2004 profile).  Doris McCarthy became one of the oldest graduates of the University of Toronto's Scarborough Campus when she received her honours degree at age 79. She received the Order of Ontario and Order of Canada.

HER MANTRA WAS THE WORD "YES"...as she herself wrote: "I love the world. I love nature. I love creation. I love life."

by Paula Citron, THE GLOBE AND MAIL, Saturday, November 27, 2010


Email blwoodard@shaw.ca  --  Doris McCarthy, what an inspiration!!  Do you have a story to share??

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

From E-mail: "Thank you so much for sending me these reflections. I've been really homesick lately and questioning some of my life changes. Your messages are so inspiring and so comforting. I really enjoy reading them." A.C.