Saturday, March 31, 2012

"...in favour of Godly thoughts..."


What does it mean “to be saved ;” “to give ourself to God ;” “to surrender to God ?”  These and other such praiseworthy terms are made real, not by whim, but when we succumb—mind, body and soul—to that higher power from within; our divine spirituality.

Each of us experiences this spiritual transformation in his or her own way.  The one factor common to all, however, is this: We must cease the turmoil of the mind in favour of Godly thoughts.  Giving ourself over to God in this manner fills us with the freedom and the joy of Walking in His Way.  Blind pursuit of worldly ways is revealed as aught but an empty promise.

Garry D. Kilbourn
bwfaithministry

“… in favour of Godly thoughts.”

Thursday evenings I look forward to meeting up with Alice.  Just shy of eighty years and living in a nursing home, Alice struggles with debilitating thoughts.  She is in the process of updating her will, estranged from her siblings and her children.  Alice’s emotions range from fear to anger and all that could have been but is not. 

This is a story with a silver lining.  Alice enjoys a friendship with Brenda, who is also a Christian Science Practitioner.  For days after a visit with Brenda, Alice feels loved and calm.  Brenda prays with Alice and gives her *Godly thoughts to fill her mind.  

* ”Stand porter at the door of thought…control yourself harmoniously…shut out these unhealthy thoughts and fears.”  Pg 392 Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Meg's email says, "It is so true, that when you practice “Godly thoughts”, the turmoil in our mind stops. I’m just at that place where I am trying to “stop thought”, when something negative starts, and then calmly and lovingly say, “don’t judge others, don’t judge yourself”. The words may vary per/moment, but the message is always the same.

I loved your sharing about Alice. I’m sad for her estrangement. I was estranged from my mother for a total of over 20 years. And it was so painful not to have a mom. To this day, I regret my past thoughts about her. Why do we always figure these things out when it is too late? And yet, I feel that my son is not feeling that way about me. And I don’t know why. Well, I know what I know – but I don’t know what he “knows”. If that makes sense.

I really hope Alice hears from her family. That is a loneliness that nothing else can mend.
Your story also makes me want to go to the CS seminar."

Bonnie said...

Carol Ann's email says...
"... have enjoyed your "Reflections".
Interesting one battles turmoil in our thinking (re your friend Alice), wonderful we are never to old to change. I've always said the only thing we are in control of is our thinking."